Re: [OM] Shutting off and Shutter Lock on OM2n and OM2?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutting off and Shutter Lock on OM2n and OM2?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:12:24 -0000
Dean wrote:
> Newbie question: Are these cameras ever really off? In reading about the
> OM2 and OM2n, I read that the OM2 and OM2n are still capable of firing in
> the "OFF" position. So, you can drain your battery if you have the OM2,
but
> the OM2n will shut off after ~3 minutes.

When switched OFF the OM-2n will still take photos on Auto at shutter speeds
between 1/60th and 1/1,000th sec. For longer exposures you have to switch
ON.

> BTW, is there a way to lock the shutter release button on the OM2 or OM2n?

Only by not winding on after your last exposure, but there's no battery
drain like there is with the OM40 (OMPC) for example, if the release is
partly depressed  Only during an exposure as described above are the
batteries involved - just for a fraction of a second. My OM-2n batteries
typically last for 5 years.

For sheer all-round brilliance of design, build quality and value for money,
the
OM-2n has been the king of SLRs ever since its first appearance (I've never
owned an OM-2) and it doesn't look as though anyone is going to beat
it in the time we have left until film disappears.

Regards,
Keith Berry