Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...

Subject: Re: [OM] and now for a real question... trip to antartica...
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:58:07 +1100
OM-1n with spare battery, but probably wont need it.
Overexpose 1 stop.
Kodachrome 64 (200 for winter) as it reproduces white excellently.
400 ASA for Aurora shots. Hold open and guess.
E-6 processing on site. For Australian stations, talk to someone at Ant Div
for info on purchasing chemicals. Or drop me a line privately.
Take a tripod. I took a Manfrotto 190 with 141 RC head. Can buy duty free
before going.
I took 28, 50, 90, 75-150, 300, 2X-A. And extension tubes and close up
lenses. T32 for indoor party shots. Used them all. The 28 got grit in it.
The Tamron 90 mm lost a screw. The 1n advance mechanism would require two
moves. The cold caused a cog to shrink a bit. No great need for
winterisation of cameras and lenses.
Polarising filters. Take 2. He will need them.
No problem with film breaking. Do not use a winder. Manual wind slowly. All
will be OK.
Get the body and lenses properly maintained and tested before going.
I also took a 2SP. Took great aurora photos on auto. The batteries were
rarely working. But I only used it for aurora shots.
Salt water is a problem. Don't go swimming with the camera. This usually
limits the salt water effect. 8-)

Foxy
Davis 1994 - 1995