RE: RE: [OM] Wyoming Trip

Subject: RE: RE: [OM] Wyoming Trip
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:51:30 +1100
> Winsor Crosby [mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> My California elementary education told us that the Yoh-suh-mite
> pronunciation was brought to the state by all those ignorant
> easterners when any Californian knew the Native Americans said
> yoh-sem-it-ee.  That is also the pronunciation given by the rangers
> in the park who are sticklers for correctness and by the Random House
> Dictionary of the American Language.

I know better than to take the stand of "It must be right - I read it
on the WWW", but this is somewhat relevant to the topic:

http://www.abovecalifornia.com/lib/Houghton/04.shtml

which might be best served by going here where it begins:
http://www.abovecalifornia.com/lib/Houghton/index.shtml

Of course, it may sound totally different again with
an Australian accent ("voytlairnda" to all you fine folk <g>)

Cheers and beers
Marc
Sydney, Oz