Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos

Subject: Re: [OM] PICS - memory for editing photos
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:00:22 -0700
Hello Everyone.

I've been on the list for a couple of months now... reading and lurking but
not posting. I been using Photoshop a LOT for the last 7 years so I thought
I should speak up. Increasing the RAM will definitely speed things up but
there are also other things worth considering.

#1 - Maximize the RAM you already have. I'm not sure how it works on PCs but
on Macs there are all sorts of RAM gobbling system extensions that can be
disabled using the extension manager. This can be a bit of a pain since it
requires rebooting the computer but it's free.

#2 - Add a second hard drive. On the G4 Macs(and some older Macs) there is
an empty drive bay with cables and power already supplied. $100 - $150usd
will get you a 7200rpm drive with at least 30GB. A second drive takes much
of the workload off your startup drive because you can use it as Photoshop's
scratch disk and as a place to store the large photo files. In my experience
LARGE photoshop files can take over twice as long to save on a computer with
only one drive.

#3 - Keep the clipboard clean. Photoshop stores "undo" and "copy" info in
the RAM and many times a "mode change", "filter" or large "copy" can steal
all your RAM. It is easy to purge these, using the edit menu or by selecting
a very small area and "copying" a few times to write over the other data.

I'll go back to lurking now. :-)

 - Matt Crawley

tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Jim,