[OM] Re: Lens sharpness

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens sharpness
From: "jlamadoo, home account" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:42:09 -0500
Look at the maximum aperture, of your 28, Albert.  I had a 28mm f/3.5 Zuiko
that couldn't produce a sharp 4" x 6" even at f/8 in broad daylight!  It was
so unsharp I couldn't even focus it!  (No, there was plenty of light.  It
was the *lens*.)

I'd suggest the f/2 Zuiko if you decide to stay with the OM line, although I
don't use it wide open.  (The 100mm f/2.8 and 135mm f/3.5 are both sharp
enough to use wide open in my opinion.  There are others with deeper pockets
who have experience with the 90 who say it's incredibly sharp.  My
experience with the 200mm f/4 says that it's useable but not as sharp as the
other focal lengths mentioned.  Why did they design it with only 5
elements?)

If you went to N*kon, the 28 f/2.8 is really affordable but the prime
telephotos are not.  To replace my 100mm, 135mm and 200mm Zuikos in the
N*kon line would be hideously expensive and I don't believe N*kon even
offers a 135 prime now.  (My 100 mm f/2.8 Zuiko is the sharpest lens I've
ever had and I use it a lot.)

So, how could I switch?  No, I'm sticking with the OM until my eyesight goes
bad (forcing me into autofocus), and "they" figure out wideangles for
digital.  (At 45 & 1/2 years old, I think both things will happen in the
next 10 years!)

Jim L'Hommedieu

Albert asked:
dud??