Re: [OM] Re: Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Lens sharpness
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:44:34 +1100
>So, how could I switch?  No, I'm sticking with the OM until my eyesight goes
>bad (forcing me into autofocus), and "they" figure out wideangles for
>digital.  (At 45 & 1/2 years old, I think both things will happen in the
>next 10 years!)
>Jim L'Hommedieu

Why do people get this idea - my eyes went bad so I got an EOS. Ever tried
to focus with multifocals? So the camera made the decisions. But could I
tell that it had focussed on the correct point? So I got eyepiece diopter
correction. So could I read the blasted LCD panel? Not without my glasses.
So I got my eyes lasered. Still needed reading glasses to check the LCD.
Made lots of errors because I didn't have them handy or couldn't be fussed.
Went back to manual focus Oly and Leica M.
When your eyes go bad, you lose short vision. Focussing with a split image
or rangefinder patch is still easy. I think OM viewfinders give an apparent
2 metre distance - no problem for those with age related longsightedness
except in extreme cases. Plus you can see all the manual controls - not
clearly but effectively. Autofocus wonderbricks are awful for those of us
with aging eyes. My pix are just as bad as they ever were 20 years ago but
better than with an AF one-eyed computer.
AndrewF