Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:52:52 +1100
Yes, but they aren't compulsory or even popular. I was always uneasy with
them because they tended to turn serious topics into a sporting contest:
rewarded sophistry rather than good analytical skills. They have become
used as a source of TV comedy here. ("A good laugh is better than sex" type
of thing).
I'm not sure that we ever successfully separate the individual from the
idea presented, nor that I want to argue for something in which I do not
'believe.' My ideas own me, I'm afraid.
AndrewF