Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:42:29 +0100
: (assuming you're using Win98 or Win98SE or WinME).  I've just installed
: WinXP Home Edition on one of my LAN computers, and it was the smoothest
: install I've ever experienced -- and it recognized every piece of
equipment
: in the computer or attached thereto and installed them all flawlessly,
with
: drivers that wereeven newer than any I had (and I had some pretty unusual
: stuff, too).

Same experience I had when I upgraded from Win98 SE (which died on me when I
tried to install Office 2000 on it) to Win2000. Just about every piece of
hardware was identified and installed properly. Win98 allways gave me hard
times by letting me manually install and configure the graphic adapter, SCSI
card, printer, ....

Win9x is so sentitive to weird hardware (like the SCSI card that came with
the Acer scanner?), strange combinations of software, software installations
that overwrite system software, drivers that really don't cooperate
together, ....

hnz