Re: [OM] OT: Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Computers
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 12:47:34 -0400
On 11/4/01 7:56 AM, "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Didn't anyone see the <g>.
>
> You're right, the Windows environment is a clone of Apple-----who stole it
> from Xerox.
>
> Let's give credit, where credit is due.

I wish PC users could explain to me how something is stealing when the
company invites the head (and later, the developers) from another company to
take a look at technologies they're working on, and then licenses those
technologies to that company. Wow, Apple was so underhanded! Yes, they did
also hire many of the Xerox PARC developers over, but they were willing to
leave because they wanted to work for a company that would actually make use
of their research in a shipping product. Also, many of those developers were
working on the GUI research before they went to PARC (and Apple was already
working on some GUI concepts before they visited PARC). Not to mention a lot
of the features of a GUI were developed by Apple alone. For instance, the
entire layout of the MacOS GUI is based on Apple's (not Xerox's) human
interface research. If you'd like more information on the early GUI
development, I'd suggest you read a few articles from the MacKido site,
which were written by Xerox and Apple developers from the time.

The address is:

http://www.mackido.com/Interface/ui_history.html

There are 3 response letters linked from that article, which flesh out the
details more.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx