Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:49:41 -0600
I have the good fortune to own the 18/3.5, 21/2 and 21/3.5.   Of the three,
the 21/3.5 gets the most use, but the 21/2 is more versatile.

The 18/3.5 is wonderful, truly a marvel, but is slower and much more
difficult to shoot without noticeable distortion.

The 21/2 is a perfect compromise. It has less noticeable distortion (it
you're careful), it is amazingly sharp and it is 'oh so' fast. I have found
many situations where the shot was possible because of the speed of the
lens.

The 21/3.5 has the 'breadth' of the 21/2, but is so small and compact -- as
small as the 50/1.8.  That's why it finds itself in my kit so often.  I also
has the advantage of being the least expensive of the three (although not
cheap at around $300).

So, if I was buying, I'd buy the 21/3.5 first. If you find it a focal length
you love (which I do), trade up to a 21/2. Consider the 18/3.5 last, as it
is more of a specialty lens, and go for a 16/3.5 first.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

From: "Andy Gilbert"

.  Can