Re: [OM] Macro methods

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro methods
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:21:10 -0800
Actually, Clendon, macro lenses are optically optimized for close-up pictures, whereas a regular lens is optimized for infinity or medium distances. As you get closer, more aberrations show up using a regular lens, and often there is curvature of field, so a flat subject may have the corners out of focus. The 50/3.5 Zuiko macro has "floating elements" to correct for this. As you focus, lens elements move with respect to each other in order to correct these problems throughout its focusing range.

My question is, how much difference does it make? And where is the point where if you want good image quality, you need to move away from using a regular lens with either tubes or close-up lenses?

My Shipley book talks about all this, but has no pictorial examples of the differences. He just says that a real macro lens is better, but only you can judge what is acceptable image quality for your particular needs.

Based on what I've read, I believe the order from best to worst is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong):

1.  A real macro lens
2. A good normal lens with extension tubes (preferably not a high-speed lens, ie. a 50/1.8 is better for macro than a 50/1.4 or 1.2)
3.  Close-up lenses
4.  A macro tele-extender

However, I'm not sure of the order of 3 and 4. Also, close-up lenses have the advantage of less lens extension, therefore less light lost, therefore easier focusing. Longer macro lenses give greater distance to the subject, and therefore are easier to use in the field, but magnify camera shake and are more expensive.

That's the theoretical stuff I've gleaned from reading. I'm looking for people who have actually done it and can put the theory in proper perspective.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA