Re: [OM] Macro methods

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro methods
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:40:30 +0100

Remember that the 3.5 macro only goes to macro ratio 1:2. If you wanr 'real'
macro 1:1 you must use the 25mm extension tube. Presumably better than a 50/1.8
with extender, but may not be easy to see the difference. Makes a great standard
lens though...

Roger Key, Copenhagen

Does anyone on the list have experience using the 50/3.5 Zuiko macro vs.
using an ordinary 50/1.8 Zuiko with extension tubes, a Vivitar 2x macro
extender, or closeup lenses?  I know there is supposed to be significant
difference in field flatness and optical quality, but I've never seen
side-by-side pictures to show how *much* difference.

Also could anyone comment on the practical differences between using a 50mm
macro and the 90mm macro, beyond the obvious one of subject distance?  The
90 Zuiko macro is a bit out of my price range, but there might be non-Zuiko
substitutes.  Again, I'm looking for direct comparisons of optical quality.

We're talking about real macro photography from just beyond the close-focus
distance of a regular 50mm zuiko up to about 1:1.  Good quality film and
enlargements up to 8x10.

It seems to me that a real macro lens is going to be better than any
stopgap solution like closeup lenses or extension tubes on a
50/1.8--although for non-flat subjects, I wonder at what ratio the loss of
optical quality of the 50/1.8 vs. the 50/3.5 macro would become noticeable.

Thanks,
--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA