Re: [OM] Post Offices considering "Irradiation" to counter anthrax

Subject: Re: [OM] Post Offices considering "Irradiation" to counter anthrax
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:56:25 -0400

From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:  Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:19:11 -0400

>If our post offices start irradiating mail, our undeveloped film
>will be ruined.
>
>You may want to contact your political representatives about this.

Yeah, like that'll do some good now that the sky is falling and
our stalwart and courageous political representatives are the
first ones to run for cover. A pox on all these cowards!  I've got
a couple of dozen A&I and Fuji mailers, so now what?  Bookmarks?
Save them to sell on EvilBay as historic documents?

Although we modern folks tend to take our electric lights,
televisions, daquiri-making blenders, etc., for granted, hundreds
of years ago people did not have any of these things, which is
just as well, because there was no place to plug them in.  Then
along came the first electrical pioneer, Benjamin Franklin, who
flew a kite in a lighting storm and received a serious electrical
shock.  This proved that lighting was powered by the same force as
carpets.  But it also damaged Franklin's brain so severely
that he started speaking only in incomprehensible maxims, such
as "A penny saved is a penny earned."  Eventually, he had to be
given a job running the post office.

These qualifications, having been shown to be sufficient now for
some 200 years, you can be sure are still in effect today.  So,
we'd all better find some competent local film processing facility
or crank up the darkroom again.  I started developing my own
slides back when the process was E-2, and I don't think E-6 is
that much different.

Now, just where did I put those old Nikkor tanks and reels?  Can
you still open a 35mm cassette by banging the hell out of it on a
counter top, protruding part down?  Or do I need to find a church
key?  Do they still make those?

Walt Wayman