Re: [OM] New To The List

Subject: Re: [OM] New To The List
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:27:25 -0700
Hi Tom ...

Thanks for the welcome.  Your message was most helpful.

> Your desire for the 21/2 is an
> excellent one. They are simply
> wonderful lenses.

This is good to know.  After a lot of looking around it seemed that
this was the fastest manual focus lens in the "super wide" focal
range, perfect for working close in, in natural light situations.
Over the years I've heard many good things about Zuiko lenses, so I'm
excited about finding and trying one.

>  Then you'll need a 90/2 macro, a
> 50/1.2, a 16/3.5, a 180/2, a 350/2.8,
> a 35-80/2.8 - well, you get the idea.

Well, the truth is I've got most of those focal lengths covered,
although the 180 length sounds like a dream come true. That length
will fill a hole that I have
between 150mm and 200mm.  Actually, they all seem enticing.

> You really should check out the
> fabulous eSIF site at:
> http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif.htm

Thanks - I just took a quick glance and will go back later to download
information.  Gotta have something new to read tonight ;-))  It looks
like a great site.

> According to Skip Williams' Ebay history,
> (http://www.skipwilliams.com) the ebay
> average for the 21/2 is $570. That's over
> 7 sales in a couple years, so
> they are not particularly easy to find.

Well, I didn't expect them to be dropping from trees like fruit in the
fall <g>, but it does seem like a pretty hard-to-find lens.  The
upside is that searching for hard-to-find items is enjoyable, so at
least the quest will be some fun.

> You can also look at reputable online
> used stores, at higher prices.  Two
> good choices are http://www.keh.com
> and http://www.bhphoto.com  To a
> slightly lesser extent, http://www.adorama.com

I know them well.  Coincidentally, I'd checked KEH before I joined the
list, and a friend will be checking B&H every now and then, as she
lives near the store.

> As for a body, you have a lot of choices [...]
> For me, I would narrow down my first body
> choice to either an OM-2(n) or an OM-4T [...]
> but the 2n and 4T would be my first choice.
> In a nutshell, the big difference is that the
> OM-4T supports multispot metering.

What is "multispot" metering?  I like the idea of spot metering along
with an average type of metering, but this multispot has me intrigued.

> As for body pricing, an OM-2 or OM-2
> can be found in the $120 - 180 range,
> with patience and depending on condition
> and color. The OM-4T can be found in the
> $400-600 range, again depending on
> condition and color.  Black bodies
> go for more.

Black would be my preference.  The price range for these different
models seems within budget.  The OM-2 models look like a good value
and might be a good introduction to the Olympus line, and could later
be used as a backup or second body should I move up to the OM-4T
series, or get a second lens.  The 24/2.0 seems like it might be a
nice choice for a wide angle, too.

Is the 21/2.0 a relatively new design?  I ask because it seems so
small for the speed and focal length.  Pentax, which makes quite a few
lenses that are small and light, has a 20/2.8 that's about the same
size, so the Zuiko (and how, may I ask, is that pronounced?) seems
like it might be some recent engineering.

> Another approach for finding equipment
> is to just ask here.

Once I'm sure of the camera body I want, I'll certainly do that.

Thanks for all your help.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx