[OM] New To The List

Subject: [OM] New To The List
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:27:21 -0700
Hi ...

I just signed on today as I'm beginning the exploration that goes
before purchasing a new camera.  The Olympus has always been of
interest, but since I am heavily invested in other brands I've never
seriously looked into the possibilities.

However, I recently learned that Olympus has a very fast 21mm lens,
unusually fast for that focal length.  This lens would be a very
helpful addition to my kit, and I'm willing to purchase a body to
dedicate to it.

Of course, not being an Olympus aficionado, and, it seems, finding
good information on the net and at camera shops is very difficult,
your advice and experience is welcome and desired.

Which body might be advisable?  I don't need lots of bells and
whistles, in fact, the fewer the better.  The Pentax LX has been my
SLR of choice for many years, and that's about as feature-laden a
machine as I'd want. I'd like something similar that offers both
manual and electronic shutter activation, possibly interchangeable
focusing screens, OTF metering, and most important, a durable and
long-lasting body.

The OM3, OM3-TI, and the OM4-TI have caught my eye, but earlier models
might work as well.  What might you suggest?  What's the difference
between the OM3 and the 3-TI and 4-TI - I'm not clear on that.

How difficult is it to find a used 21/2.0 in excellent condition, and
what might be a fair price for a good example?  Are there different
models, or variations, of the lens?

Thanks for any help.  I hope to be on Olympus user soon.
--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx