Re: [OM] New To The List

Subject: Re: [OM] New To The List
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:12:39 -0700
Hi Garth ....

> Yep.  If it were any faster, it'd
> literally suck the photons out of
> the room when you removed the lens
> cap.  ;-)   I happen to own an example,
> and I'm REALLY REALLY pleased with it.
> Bought it used (but in otherwise pristine
> condition) for $575.00 U.S., which was a
> pretty fair price for the condition.

Thanks so much for your "mini review".  It seems that, except for a
Sigma autofocus lens, this is the fastest lens in that focal range
available, and the fastest manual focus lens.  I was wondering, does
the front element rotate when focusing?  How difficult is it to find
the standard lens hood for this puppy?

> If you want something similar to the
> LX, I *think* the closest would be a
> good used OM-4T or -4Ti

That seems to be the case based on the information at
http://www.taiga.ca/~esif/om-sif.htm
It seems, though, that the OM-4T or -4Ti has an electronic shutter
that doesn't afford full manual operation, or at least a wide range of
mechanical shutter speeds, if the batteries fail.  Is that correct?

> Questions like that are what the FAQ
> was *made* for.  You'll find it in the
> first few links off of the following URL:
> http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml

Super!  Just the sort of information I was hoping to find.  I'll check
it out today.  Thank you so much.

> >How difficult is it to find a used 21/2.0 in excellent condition,

> They're relatively rare, but not
> ridiculously so.  If you're patient,
> you shouldn't have to wait longer than
> six to eight weeks for a reasonable
> example to show up on eBay or photo.net.

Well, I'm in no rush ... I just want a good sample of this rather
unique piece of glass.

Thanks so much for your help.
--
Shel Belinkoff