[OM] light meters

Subject: [OM] light meters
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:28:25 -0500
>I want to get a hand held light meter, ambient/incident lighting is all
that is needed. No flash, no color, no studio and no >spot required.

Great idea. You will find that an incident meter is much more useful. It
will give you more accurate exposures in almost all situations.

>The key constraint is that I would like to buy a used one ... and I don't
want to spend a great deal of money. I would be >suspicious of anything I
can get for less than $70 as unable to cover #2 and probably unwilling to
buy anything that costs >much more than $170.

I don't see this as a huge problem, just will require patience.

>I see KEH has a few Sekonic L-398Ms, a couple of Minolta III and even a
pair of Gossen Luna-Pro (SBC and digital) in >that range, though the Gossens
are at the extreme high end of my price range.

You'll find the KEH  price at the high end, but their grading is most
conservative, and they are very reputable. I think the L398 is the latest
version of the Sekonic Studio meter. I still have one that I keep as a
backup. Since it uses no battery, it is not good for low light. the Gossens
are good meters, although I don't like them as incident meters as well as
some others. I am currently using a Minolta Autometer III. It has both
ambient and flash capabilities, most meters in this category do. I got it
used, in absolute LN (not Minty) condition for $100, not a fang, but close.
Realistically, I should have paid something like $175. I have used it
regularly for years, and it has yet to fail me. One thing, though, it can
eat batteries. It seems that it has no on/off switch, an alarming trend in
many electronic items. It is turned on by pressing the momentary switch on
the side of the case that also takes the reading. This means that, while in
a case, the meter is most always on. I simply remove the battery when the
meter is in a case.

I wold recommend you carefully consider the Minolta meters. Although their
cameras sometimes have a reputation for unreliability, I have never known of
a Minolta meter that has failed, even under the most unfavorable pro
conditions. I have, however, had an unpleasant experience with a Sekonic
308, and their "service" that will prevent me from buying one of their new,
interesting spot/incident meters.

You realize that you are on a slippery slope. You will become more careful
with your photography, and will be overcome with the desire for a MF or LF
camera. Soon, you will be touring the American west, with an 8x10 camera on
top of your old station wagon, looking for that perfect shot. Of course, by
then, you will be using both incident and reflected meters, and will have
gone back to tri-x or super double x.

Or, you could be shooting from atop your SUV...........

Bill Pearce