RE: [OM] Speaking of focusing screens...

Subject: RE: [OM] Speaking of focusing screens...
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:05:01 +0200
When I took the portraits of my dad, I used the split part to
focus, but it's not focused correctly so I'm wondering where I
went wrong.  I'm also wondering if I should not only depend on
the split, but also look at the matte area.  That's why I'm
curious to find out if others really need/use that aid.

Tina

Whether you use the matte area or the split is mostly a question of what you're comfortable with (and used to?). The split on 1-13 and 2-13 is very accurate IMHO. What area on your father did you align in the split? Did you use a distinguished line in his face? Did you use a very wide apperature? If so, focusing correctly where you really want focus is more crucial. Try with other lenses, so there is not an out-of-focus problem with that particular lens. On http://www.photo.net/learn/ they might say something about focusing.

Henrik Dahl