Re: [OM] I Pulled a "Real Stupid"

Subject: Re: [OM] I Pulled a "Real Stupid"
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:03:32 +0000
At 19:13 9/29/01, Susan Steele wrote:
I foldled it and felt sad, flicking it on and off in the hopes
of a flicker..and damned if it didn't turn on and go to town!! It's HAPPY! It
purrs! I've been using it all afternoon!  <<<happy again>>>>

Are you ever lucky!  If it fails again, two specific failure modes to look for:
(a)  The power switch (try cleaning it if possible)
(b) Dendritic growth on the printed circuit board(s) [PCB]. This is a (usually) dark gray crystalline growth between adjacent pads or pins on a PCB. It is caused by a presence of moisture (including humid air), ionic contamination and a "bias" or voltage between the two points. The gray is oxidized solder (tin/lead). You may need a magnifier to look for it.

BTW, alcohol is one of the best, readily available cleaners you could have used for cleaning it at home. Carbon tetra-chloride or something like tri-chlorethylene are better PCB cleaners, but their environmental and human hazards far outweigh their utility, especially doing this at home (versus a properly equipped lab).

-- John