Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back,Kodachrome,

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back,Kodachrome, and Digital Olys
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:30:44 -0700
I don't know, but as this subject is entirely subjective I'll add a word or two.

This summer I used a wide range of Fuji film in Spain. I hauled a load of Fujicolor Press (1600), Reala and Superia (100) and NPC (160) and NHG II (800 Professional--I picked this lot up from Henry's, by the way, and the service was excellent) over with me in X-Ray bags (I wasn't sure what the supply would be like over there--it's never as good as what we have here, I can tell you that) and then bought some more Superia X-TRA (400) and Superia (200) while over there, and (except for my gaffes) all of the exposures turned out as I would have expected. I have one particular shot (not scanned yet, but I'd like to submit it to Olaf's TOPE 7 so I'm working on that) of a street mime done up in silver paint and a cowboy hat where both color and contrast are fairly stunning. (Didn't take notes for that one, didn't take notes my entire vacation, but as I recall that's on regular ol' Fuji 400 film, probably the stuff I bought locally from a shop in the old part of the town, shot through my 100mm f2.)

Now keep in mind I compare these results from the Fuji stock to what I managed from the Kodak emulsions I also took with (not counting Tri-X and TMax, this would include Kodak Gold 100 and 1000, Supra NC 400 and Portra VC 400), plus ten rolls of Konica Impresa 50 Professional. Come to think of it, I think there's some Kodak Max 400 in there as well.

That's a pretty rich mix, I'm sure you'd agree. Three brands, speed ranges from slowest to fastest, yet no obviously bad colors.

Maybe my eyes just aren't up to it and I can't tell the difference, maybe I just have unusually good luck with film or dismally low standards or what have you, but my gut feeling is most talk about this film or that as being the best emulsion is no more than that. One thing's for sure: now way anyone's gonna remember colorations from a fleeting scene a week down the road, and for that matter what everyone sees to begin with is unique so right away nobody's on the exact same page, so where do start our comparisons from? Tests might be constructed, have been, but soon enough you're right back into subjective comparison and so no further down the road. Besides, to be closely controlled the tests at issue are rarely conducted in the field, and that's the only place that matters.

Do different film emulsions give identical images? Of course not. But what's "correct" strikes me as something else altogether. To Say this film or that is of definite higher quality is iffy at best. I think some are--logic suggests they aren't all the same--but much of this variation probably has more to do with quality control and ageing from one film batch to the next as anything.

Speaking only for myself, I think Kodak makes film emulsions as good as you can buy anywhere, but when I want the "best" negative image (and circumstances allow) I habitually turn to the Konica, but if I imagined I could get as good or better an image from something else I'd change that behavior in a heartbeat. Even there, though, I don't tout the Konica 50 as "best" negative film. If this weren't being argued here I'd have nothing to say on the subject. Indeed, if someone comes back to me now and says he has a better fine-grain print film for me to try I'll charge out and buy some of it and see for myself. My only loyalty's to the resultant image.

As for transparencies: I'm totally (or nearly so) ignorant of that side of the art, so I'll defer.

Tris

Are you sure it's a Fuji film? :)
Probably a cheap shot, but it sums up how I feel about Fuji's current films. I will definitely have to give the Provia a try as it sounds like something I would really
like. Thanks for the information Chris.