Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sensia II vs. Provia. Was: Kodachrome vs Provia
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:21:09 +0200
At 14:40 28.09.01, you wrote:
That is exactly what I mean to say, I think they use reflective meadia for
the testing (i.e. black lines on white paper), that is more close to 5 stops
rather than 10 stops.

I agree that paper would be closer to 5 stops, but who's said that Fuji uses reflective media? The testing method is not mentioned in Fuji datasheets, but I thrust them when they say the contrast is 1:1000. We're now discussing what that means. Some magazine tests use paper or plastic charts, but then they have to use a reference lens too. For testing of film only I would imagine that some kind of semi-transparent etched foil can be placed directly on the film (contact copy), thereby eliminating the lens, but all speculations and technicalities aside: Fuji claims 1:1000 as contrast in their tests, and untill somebody convinces me that this is not 10 stops, I find those results useful for marketing only.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn