Re: [OM] Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:38:55 +0000
At 03:16 9/24/01, Charlie Loeven wrote:
Is the Kodacrome you buy in Target (dept. store) the same as from B+H.
It was readily available last time I was there.
Funny that I can get Kcrome in a dept.store and I can't even get Provia
at a camers store like Wolf or Ritz.

Charlie

Yes, if it's KR-64 or KL-200 that you're buying from B&H. You can also get PKR-64, the pro version of KR-64, from B&H. You won't find PKR-64 at Target (or any other discount department store). It's the same stuff with aging prior to shipping and refrigeration to ensure it's at peak performance prior to being sold, and that it remains there longer.

Pro film is sold this way to ensure the end user can either use it immediately or refrigerate it and use it within its dated shelf life without any shift in performance. Consumer films are shipped "green" with the presumption it will sit for a while on the shelf and in the consumer's camera body. IMO a few photogs get overly "retentive" about pro film refrigeration. Applicable for longer storage until it's used, a few days or even a few weeks at room temperature won't hurt it. The primary issue with pro film is being able to use 20 rolls from the same batch number for a project and being guaranteed *zero* detectable difference in exact speed, contrast and color rendition between rolls. For most of us, unless it's a wedding shoot, or doing commercial catalog work, that level of control is not critical or required.

-- John