Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]

Subject: Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:46:01 -0500
I have a Sigma 70-210 f/2.8 APO which I'm pretty fond of.  I know Sigma has
a dismal reputation for build quality, but this particular design seems
pretty substantial.  I picked it up as part of a set and it has turned out
to be one of the few items that I kept.

I haven't run critical side by side tests with, say, my Zuiko 100/2.8 or 2.0
or 180/2.8, but my impression is that the image quality is pro level.  See
for instance http://members.home.com/captaintombrooks/mustang.htm  (I know,
its impossible to judge a lens from a web-sized digital image. . .)  I would
prefer to own a Tamron, just for the build reputation, but I'm happy with
this lens.  It really is a joy to shoot, mostly due to the bright image,
though both rings turn the wrong direction.

I do have a Tamron 400/4 which is indeed a spectacular lens.  I use an OM
1.4X-A with it just because the Tamron 1.4x SP TC is such a pain.  The focus
turns the correct direction on it.

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at http://members.home.com/garyetx/