Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]

Subject: Re: [[OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's]
From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:21:42 -0400
First of all, "You get what you pay for" is one of the least true statements in
history. Upper middle class people love to throw that around, and then say
"When I
want something, I buy it, whatever it costs." All proud of themselves.

OK. The Samyang company, I believe, is out of business, so unless it is marketed
by Phoenix with the Phoenix name (The 500mm in the photo shows a Samyang box),
the
6 year warrantee is probably useless. The Samyang mirror I've heard okay
optically, but no better than Tamron, Tokina, etc...
I've found their 18-28mm f/4 to be excellent, and with less aperture shift than
the 19-35mm & is great all-metal construction. Cosina makes the 19-35 for
Phoenix,
(and vivitar). I would reccommend the 18-28mm over it, and it sells for about
$110
used, and they're still around new for about $139. Again, under the Samyang
name,
forget the warrantee. Phoenix (which is oddly enough located in the town I live
in
on LI) are good people to deal with, and will back their warrantee.

The 500mm Kalimar is a manual stopdown, so you can only meter on auto. As far as
quality, it's a simple design, so probably pretty good optically, but , really I
have no idea.

(Craig won't read this coz his post said he filters me out, so oh well :)

Larry