RE: [OM] Three day, three post rule

Subject: RE: [OM] Three day, three post rule
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
Day #2, Post #2

> Now hold on there Rudolph!

Silver, not red!  Unless it's a "25".

> Can't the offended ones just tell the Jackasses that they have
> gone to far?

HELLO?????

> Rules will destroy this list faster than OT posts.

Too late.  The list is already on a fast track to shutdown
WITHOUT rules.  We obviously can't police ourselves without some
semblence of organization.  I don't think this list will see
2002 without major changes.

>The three-day rule makes sense to me for the OT subjects. Some
>have run along for a very long time with a lot of repetition.
>Some of the technical issues may take longer than that to
>resolve though.

I thought about this and have observed that nearly every
ON-TOPIC technical subject goes off-topic within three days--if
not minutes.  Technical issues rarely need to go on very long
without getting answered.  Usually they evolve into other
questions which should trigger a new header and a new three post
cycle.  Besides, I've seen on-topic technical subjects drag on
so long that we longed for an off-topic post.  (How many
variations of the 50/1.8)

I'm not talking about an enforced rule (except for obvious
repeat violaters), but general guidelines of list tourniquette
(oops, etequette).

Yes, this would be a sacrifice and a bit of a pain, but pick
your poison folks.  I just wish that some posters would just
cool it a bit and not treat the list like a chatroom.  If we
went back to a listserv mentality instead of this chatroom
mentality the list just might survive.

I'm not happy about it either.  Tomorrow will be my final post
on this subject.  Yes, I'm enforcing the rule on myself.  Will
others follow my example?  Larry? Tris? Mr Dragon?

There's plenty of subjects to post on everyday, so you shouldn't
feel too stifled.  If you do, then do what I do and invent a new
subject!  If there are 500 members of the list, there would be a
potential of 1500 posts on any one subject.  If some of the more
prolific posters cooled it, we might get more participation from
the lurkers.  And if there were 20 subjects per day times 500
members!  Let's make some room for new subjects, folks!

AG-Schnozz

ps. Spiro de dum de doo probably knows better than to take up
the SUV subject with this two-SUV, GREEN-PARTY man! <vbg> (If
they made a solar-powered Jeep, I'd buy it).

pps. Don't you just love how I lob OT-firecrackers over the
shrubs and run?