Re: [OM] Three day, three post rule

Subject: Re: [OM] Three day, three post rule
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:24:22 -0700
The 'offended ones' HAVE been telling the 'jackasses' that they have gone to
far, only to be ignored or further insulted, that's why so many folks have
left.

I am not sure what the answer is. I pondered the rules Ken posted overnight,
and I don't really care for them. I also don't think they answer the REAL
problem as I see it. It is not so much the number of posts, but rather the
rudeness and thoughtlessness on the list lately. In addition to the large
volume of OT posts, not labeling OT posts, not clipping quotes in deference to
the digest members, all of which are careless and thoughtles we have a large
amount of name calling, innuendo, and just plain rude replies. I am afraid that
limiting people to three posts per topic will do nothing to solve this problem.

Perhaps we all need to take a break for a week or two. Just shut the list off
for one or two weeks to let tempers cool and give us a taste of what life w/o
the list would be to each of us. Then maybe we would value it enough to show
some self discipline.

While I hate the idea personally, perhaps it is time for a moderator. On the
other hand if we as a group are so childish that we can't or won't police
ourselves maybe the list shouldn't survive. I don't know.

I am real discouraged and considering of unsubscribing myself. Each rude reply
just angers me more. Each time I read a post from another valued member
unsubscribing I think to myself that maybe it is time for me to do the same. I
am hanging in for now, but things need to change around here. Short of us all
being respectful of each other I see no real answer to the problem and the
request for folks to show some restraint and respect has been ignored for quite
some time now,. This problem has existed well before Oben or the current events
of last week. We can continue to blame outside events/influences or we can each
personally address the problem head on.

Jim Couch