Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:34:58 +0000
Larry wrote:

> NYC doesn't build skyscrapers just for the heck of it, and to "show" how much
> power we have. NYC is the central financial center of the country, and it was
> logistical planning with the WTC to have many interacting agencies within
> walking distance of eachother. The only way to accomplish that efficiently is
> to build up. These particular buildings were not overbuilt with unused space.
> As we all know now, up to 50,000 people a day needed to be there.
>
> Hopefully the winning plan will be to build them visually exactly as they
> were.

The buildings met thier design specification, even 30 years after being
built. They withstood the initial impact of the planes, and they lasted
one hour after the fire started. I also hope they are rebuilt as
originally designed. I suspect that building codes have changed since
then, so that will have some influence on how they are built. I also
suspect that a better fire escape system and/or sprinkler system will be
included.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright