Re: [OM] List name change

Subject: Re: [OM] List name change
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:25:06 -0700
>At 07:47 PM 9/17/01 -0500, Tom S wrote:
>>Gary, while I clearly agree with you, the people that are abusing the
>>listserve aren't going to hear you.  I've tried asking politely
off-list,
>>I've tried on list -- I've tried everything.
>>
>>For awhile, I understood.  I don't anymore.  This isn't the place for
it.

>>I suspect you, and I, will get flamed.
>>
>Rest assured you are not alone. Unfortunately I have been in touch off
list
>with several members who are now exmembers because of all the off topic

>discussion. As said before the "terrorists" are here.
>Barry H

Gary,  Tom and Barry

I do not post very often but I too am very tired of the excessive off
topic posts.  When I joined the list a few years ago the signal to noise
ratio was better than 80% but over the last year or so it has dropped to
around 20%.  Those of you who say "just hit delete" are not digest
readers, neithers are those of you who haven't learned to trim a reply
to something less than 50 lines.  And whoever it said that this latest
topic was more important than someones lively hood is truly insensitive
to the rest of the folks on this list.
    For myself, my cameras are merely a pastime I indulge in when my
schedule allows.  The Olympus list is a means of staying involved and
learn more about the tools I chose.  In short I use this list as
something of an escape from the pressures of the day.  It has long since
ceased to be an escape for me.
    I remember the SUV debates and they pale in comparison to the off
topic rants of the past six months.  This is largely, IMHO, due to the
current make up of the list.  We have chased away many of the best
resources the list ever had and the newer members will never know what
is lost.  Each "generation" of members seems to think that it is ok to
go just a little beyond the behavior of those who proceeded them.  It
has gotten to the point where many feel "this is my opinion and you are
entitled to it" even if it has nothing what so ever to do with
photography let alone Oly products.  So please, the off topic threads
will continue, but take them off line after a time, say two days or six
digests, or when ever the thread starts to annoy even a small pecentage
of the list.  It will only undermine our unwritten charter that until
recently we never needed written.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California