[OM] 24mm WA -- focus at infinity is off

Subject: [OM] 24mm WA -- focus at infinity is off
From: The_Bobbs <sjea_bobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:23:18 -0600
Need some advice from the lens savy, of which this mailing list has plenty.

I have 24mm WA (no, not a Zuiko) max f2.8 which I acquired used and very
reasonably.   I have had it for a month or so and just noticed that when
focusing on reasonably far away items (20 feet or more) that I reach the end of
the focus adjustment (set at infinity) but the split image has not lined up!

Nothing seems mechanically amiss with the lense.  The previous owner (as you
would expect) never noticed a problem and I think they are sincere.

In closer focus work, it appears to focus properly and from the very few shots
I've taken with it, I don't see any obvious focus problems.  Looking for
answers along these (or other?) lines:

a) Don't worry about it.  The depth of field on a 24mm is so huge when focusing
at anyting more than 10 feet or so away that even at f2.8 you'll never see a
problem.  Enjoy your cheap glass!

b) This is bad, bad, bad!  Try to return it, junk it, whatever.  Here are 8
ways it is going to someday ruin that great shot of <whatever> for you.

c) Here's a definitive test.  Do the following <simple test>.  If the picture
looks sharp, you're pretty much in category "a".

d) Don't you know!  All Wide Angles do this because <unusual physics lesson in
optics follows>

e) Avoid the problem by picking a hyperfocal? focus point X feet away blah,
blah, blah

I'm confident the problem is not in the focus screen as my other lenses all
behave appropriately.  I'm leaning toward "a" but always wish to avoid wishful
thinking.

Also any advice on climbing the learning curve with good composition on very
wide angles like this?  So far, the shots I've done seem mostly boring.  I've
tried to get some closer in subjects but maybe I'm just expecting too much from
a WA.  Sounds odd, but I actually find it noticeably more challenging to get
the shot I want with this 24mm prime than the 28mm end of a 28-70 zoom I have
..

I got the 24mm because the 28mm end of the zoom a) tends towards soft, dark
corners (boo! hiss!) and b) is not wide enough for certain landscape tasks.

Looking forward to your help!

Stuart Bobb