[OM] RE: List name change

Subject: [OM] RE: List name change
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Sep 2001 22:13:29 CDT
As a daily reader and only occasional contributor, I also have refrained from
entering the fray on this issue. Unfortunately the OT threads are occupying a
vast majority of the traffic on this list, and even worse, those that have
generated the most OT traffic are now generating even more OT traffic by
defending their "right" to continue...

A friendly reminder of the first item listed on The OLYMPUS Mailing List home
page states:

"This mailing list is supposed to be used for discussing Olympus related
topics."

I understand some people feel a great sense of community and connection with
their fellow Zuiko list members, but for those subscribing to the digest it's
become impossible to separate the OM content from the OT content.

On top of this, I'm extremely frustrated having found that some messages with
OT titles have OM content mixed in with the OT current events discussions --
leaving members that don't subscribe to the digest also to either forgo that
info by deleting the OT messages, or trudgr through political views, etc. to
find a few tidbits of OM knowledge.

I have a suggestion for those that feel that camaraderie with fellow list
members, and want to continue the OT discussions.

Simply start up a new email group through Yahoo Groups (it's free), and keep
it a private list. I'd certainly be in favor of a daily reminder of its
existence on our Zuiko list, and the moderator/founder of the OT list can
ensure that only Zuiko list members join.

Instead of continuing to argue about whether or not you have the right to OT
postings, how about starting an OT list in an effort to keep the membership
and continuity of our On Topic discussions going?

Obviously you "can continue" OT threads regarding terrorism, the Taliban,
Islam, the FAA, and whatever; but how about taking the high road and consider
the feelings of all members?