Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:16:46 +1000
> I noted earlier (Tuesday or Wednesday) that with Afghanistan alone, just
>for example, any long-term solution lies in physical occupation of that
>land until a more sane and clear-thinking government might be installed
>and ensured against disruptive interests, which itself implies (clearly
>speaks to) better education. My guess (at the time and off the top of my
>head, but considered nevertheless) is that a working figure might be a
>couple of generations, call it 50 years give or take.
> Think about that.
> Tris

The British tried for a very long time to rule Afghanistan and the Soviets
tried for just ten years. Both prefer to forget about the experience. Oh,
and "occupation until a more sane and clear-thinking government might be
installed" (i.e. one that we approve of) is exactly what the Soviets
thought they were doing! People usually insist on running their own nation,
even if they are fucking it up totally. Funny that.
Regards
Andrew