Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:33:22 -0700
Yes, reports of attempts of Palestinian authorities to censor those (and similar) reports/images began to circulate as early as Wednesday, I believe. There's plenty of information available throughout the Web, and I begin to notice a worrying tendency on the part of the TV services available to me (e.g., CNN, MSNBC, BBC America) to fill air time with redundant reports instead of expanding their coverage into as yet (for the services cited) undiscovered areas. Also no reports on TV that I'm aware of re the BBC TV flap on Thursday re a live telecast of a call-in show where apparently many participants began to actually shout their (as described by the English press) "anti-American" views.

My point is there is a lot of opinion and raw coverage available for anyone with interest. To just stay glued to CNN is, I think, a mistake.

Some good online sites to go to for different (as opposed to strictly American) slants on this might be some of the English newspapers (Times, Telegraph, both rather supportive of America/Tony Blair, the Guardian, which is more critical, and, I believe, more balanced in its own way from what I've seen). Haven't checked everything yet, Canadian and Australian newspaper sites, for instance. And Lord only knows what's happening on foreign-language sites with re to, say, French and German publications. I have visited a number of Spanish-speaking sites (Diario Vasco, El Mundo) as I possess some (if somewhat limited) knowledge of that language. You only need make the effort.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/?1124027 (England)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/ (England)

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml;$sessionid$AMQFUNQAAEK4BQFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?view=HOME&grid=P13&menuId=-1&menuItemId=-1&_requestid=257626 (England)

http://www.diariovasco.com/diario/index.html (Spain)

http://www.elmundo.com/  (Columbia)

http://www.elmundo.es/ (Spain)

That's part of it. Another side of the coin: I note a tendency by the so-called "left" to fling around willy nilly its own special brand of terminology in support of its agenda. Rude, self-serving labeling of American news coverage broadly speaking (without any specific examples offered) as being "populist" or "jingoistic" is not only simplistic on its surface but offends the intelligent mind.

Finally, Jay, be proud to be an American, assuming you do. Stand up for our country! But at the time I would counsel against a hot head or extremist expression. We face hard times and the need is more for cool heads, thinking heads, considered heads.

Tris

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 11:47:08AM +0100, Chris Barker wrote:
> And I hope that the news media in the USA is providing an objective
> view of the rest of the world rather than a populist or jingoistic
> one.

Well, we're not seeing the Palestinians dancing in the streets any
more...because the Palestinian authorities are censoring those images at
gunpoint, even resorting to kidnapping one reporter's wife and threatening
to shoot her if he reports any more about the celebrations.

Yeah, Americans like me are the only hotheads around. Pfaugh.