Re: [OM] An interesting invitation

Subject: Re: [OM] An interesting invitation
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:18:27 -0500
Chip,

So far, I've been doing full-res scans and letting Vuescan reduce them to
approximately 800x600 (1/7th).  The results are MUCH better than scanning at
the lower resolution.  I'm also saving directly to JPG (about 1.5mb each) at
95ince my target is the web.  Remember, these are the soccer shots.  It's
actually kind of amazing that 1/7 is still that big. Lots of pixels to play
with.

For anything else, I scan at full resolution and save the original TIFF
files at about 50Mb a piece.  If these shot is just horrible, I delete it,
otherwise, even if it is marginal, I keep it, as storage is virtually free
(CD-R blanks with rebates are usually free).  Since the scanning is
essentially painless (start it -- walk away), I don't care how long it
takes.  I scan on one machine and save directly to the hard drive on a
second machine (my Photoshop machine).  Now that I have an adequately fast
machine (P4-1.7) and more importantly, enough memory (1GB), I can load
several at a time and manipulate them.  I can actually correct faster than
it can scan.  But with 120 shots to do, it took awhile last Sunday

The roll adapter is pricey at about $450 -- more than a decent scanner, but
wow, the difference in workload is amazing.

These first shots are actually lousy, as I was using Nik Sharpener Pro for
the first time and didn't understand it.  So, the results are oversharpened.
I'll rescan the ones that were good, for the parents.

What I do (can't remember if I've mentioned this) is setup an envelope for
each child on the teams (24 envelopes).  After we get the prints back, the
girls go through and divide the pics up into the right envelopes.  Sometimes
there are several girls in a shot, and they just pick the kid who is 'best'
in the shot.  I try hard to balance the shots across kids so that by the end
of the season each has a number of good pictures.  At the end of the season
party, my daughters give each player their envelope.  Not sure the players
care, but the parents seem to like it.  I offer to print enlargements, but
so far I haven't done much of that -- maybe they all hate my pictures, but I
suspect they're just unwilling to ask.

I do agree that Ice is great, although since I am using Vuescan, it is
actually Vuescan's algorithms using the infrared channel, not ICE.

Tom