Re: [OT][OM] An interesting invitation

Subject: Re: [OT][OM] An interesting invitation
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:02:26 -0700
on 9/11/01 6:27 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 I just received an interesting invitation.  I'd posted on the filmscanners
 list that I rarely felt the need to use Digital ICE (a position I have since
 reversed).  I mentioned I lived in Austin (the home of Applied Science
 Fiction).

 I got a nice note Jack Phipps from ASF. He monitors and contributes to the
 list.  He invited me to come take a tour, an offer I fully intend to accept.
 Should be downright fascinating.

 Tom

See if they'll offer it for add-in for Vuescan software, or otherwise for
scanners... if technically possible. IIRC, it uses an infared scan to
generate the dust and scratch info, maybe that has to be built into the
hardware? I like the concept, but I decided to go for resolution (Polaroid
Sprintscan 4000) instead of Digital ICE (Acer Scanwit 2740S).
--

Jim Brokaw

I understand that Vuescan can take advantage of the IR part of the scan IF it is built in on the scanner. Apparently if you use the "fine" setting on the Nikon software ICE does its job without softening the image. Some people have said that the ICE is almost a requirement on the Nikon because of the nature of the LED light source which is very contrasty(harsh?) compared to the fluorescent tube in the Polaroid and which accentuates some things on the image that you would not notice with the Polaroid. Sort of like the different between old diffusion and condenser enlargers.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA