Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh no, will the Zuikoholic defect?
From: RK <rk1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 21:37:00 +0530
Marcin Kost wrote:

> Hi!
>     Beside OM I have a Pentax AF camera MZ3 (not sold in USA it is a little
> bit
> better than ZX5n). Here are some pro and cons for Pentax AF system
> PRO
> -AF is good in good an average light situation
> -Light meter matrix is working very good, You have a really spot meter, by
> Canon it is not a spot it is a partial metering (9.50f field)
> -Classical design (ZX5n) you have a aperture ring on lens, and time and
> exposure compensation ring on the body, it is easy to use.
> -It is very small and light like OMs
> -It is working fine with all Pentax manual lenses (K and KA mount and with
> adapter with M42 mount)
> CONS
> -plastic everywhere, beside the mount
> -lack of advanced flash TTL system (this is working like this in OM)
> -lack of HSS flash.
>     If you MUST buy a AF system I recommend Pentax
> The lenses I recommend
> SMC FA 50/1.7 it is sharper and cheaper than 1.4
> SMC FA* 85/1.4 very good and expensive instead of this you can buy SMC FA
> 85/2.8 it is also very good but it is soft focus (portrait lens)
> For telephoto zoom I can not recommend any ( I have not tested any)

Hi Marcin,
Been there, done that!
I have also invested substantially in a Pentax system; however Oly has some
unique
strengths (apart from this list!) that no other system can match let alone beat!
An unmatched macro lens system with a superb macro flash range; most other
systems
have a single or maybe two ring flashes- check out how many Oly has. Most of
these
were introduced 15 years ago so the other guys still haven't caught up as yet!
The macro twin flash set-up (T28?) are a dream; I'm still painfully assembling a
Pentax equivalent!
Compactness of the lens group: check out the 35 shift and then look at the
Pentax
28 shift; while both are excellent lenses, the Pentax shift would weigh almost
twice the Oly- guess which one I'd take if I had to carry a lot of stuff?
And that Oly 24 shift? I think only Canon has one IIRC

Against all this is the AF that Pentax (or the other guys) offer. Plus the
stability of a system that continues to grow.
Though how long that'll last against the onslaught of digital is another matter
:-)

RK