Re: [OM] Marginally OT -- Nikon Coolscan 4000

Subject: Re: [OM] Marginally OT -- Nikon Coolscan 4000
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 06:04:33 -0500
That's a tough question and I'm clearly not knowledgeable enough to have
more than a personal opinion.  I'm a sucker for resolution, so if money is
no object, I'd go with one of the 4000dpi choices. You did say 'best'. As
far as I know, there are four choices;

Polaroid
Microtek
Nikon
Canon

The Polaroid and Microtek are the same scanner, manufactured by Microtek.
The Polaroid can be had cheap. $700 with rebate from B&H if I remember. The
fear, though, is that Polaroid won't survive, giving you an orphaned
product. I suspect it is less risk than you think, since Microtek makes it.

I've owned the Polaroid for over a year and simply love the results.  I
bought the Nikon for two reasons: 1) It is impossible for me to pass up new
toys and 2) the allure and draw of the roll film adapter got to me.

I'm heading into sports seasons with lots of film to scan, and the ability
to batch scan and resize 36 exposures automatically was overwhelming. I
honestly think, though, I am taking a hit in quality. I think the Polaroid
is a little better scanner. The Nikon is ridiculously expensive too.

Can't comment on the Canon -- never seen one.

As for software, I use Vuescan almost exclusively. Best $40 I've ever spent.

Not sure this helped.

Tom

Hi Tom,

In your opinion, what is the best scanner in the market
right now? What software should I use Nikon, Silverfast
or Vuescan? I´m a little disappointed with this Nikon
problem. I had decided to upgrade my OM system and forget
some years about digital photography but if I´m going to
have problems... ;-(

Best regards,

Dave