Re: [[OM] OT, Camedia C-3000]

Subject: Re: [[OM] OT, Camedia C-3000]
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: 1 Sep 2001 14:18:09 CDT
Wim,

That's not heresy, I've got OM-1n and OM-2n cameras, and sometimes it's fun to
use a digital camera for snapshots, etc.

I've got a C-3000z, and it's a very good camera for the money. The 3.34MP
sensor gives very good detail for prints up through 5x7, it's very flexible
with: Program mode (I've never used), Aperture Priority with exposure
compensation of -/+ 2stops (I use all the time), Shutter Priority, and at
least five different flash modes.

I like the wider 3x zoom lens (35mm equiv of 32mm-96mm); but you will
experience more vignetting if you use adapter lenses such as wide angle or
tele-adapters. The optical viewfinder only shows about 82-850f the real
picture (from what I've read), but the LCD on the back shows 100%.

If your girlfriend plans on using the LCD a lot (especially outdoors), pick
her up a Xtend-a-View Pro at: http://www.photosolve.com/xtendaview.asp   it
works great for the money.

Be sure she also buys the CLA-1 lens tube adapter; if nothing else, she can
mount a UV filter on it to protect the zoom lens. The one thing that bothers
me about the camera is if you don't buy the CLA-1 and you forget to take the
lens cap off before turning on the camera, you'll hear a horrible grinding
noise as the zoom tries (and fails) to extend itself. I did that once and
quickly bought a CLA-1, UV filter, and generic lens cap.

She'll also need to buy some NiMH AA batteries and a charger. The lithiums
that come with the camera last ok, but they're way too expensive to keep
replacing. Also get at least two of the 64MB 3.3v SmartMedia cards.

If you want to write me directly, I'll send you a URL for a couple of photo
albums I have online for the C-3000z.

Regards,

 - Craig Cunningham

Wim Verheyen <wimwim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I know this may sound as heresy here, but here goes anyway.
Does anyone of you have any experience with the Camedia C-3000 ?
My girlfriend wants a digital camera, and for the budget we want to spend,
this seems to be a good choice.

Thanks,