Re: [OM] Marginally OT -- Nikon Coolscan 4000

Subject: Re: [OM] Marginally OT -- Nikon Coolscan 4000
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 21:26:35 -0500
At 12:46 PM 9/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:
[Tom S.]
Does anyone on the list have experience with this scanner?  I've heard pros
and cons, but with the soccer season coming up (lots of scanning in short
time periods), the appeal of the roll film adapter was overwhelming and I
ordered one.

Don't have it yet, but will post comments and results here (all shots with
Olympus, of course), but thought I'd see what people think while I'm
waiting.

[Winsor C.]

I am on Tony Sleep's scanner list. There seem to be a high percentage of complaints about the new Nikon scanners. Lots of software difficulties with PCs. Some hardware difficulties, mostly banding if scanned at less than maximum resolution. Difficulties with warranty service. They do not solve the banding problem. Most people like the ICE.

Ditto. Possibility of edge softness too with film with any kind of curve (i.e., all film not in glass mounts).

Don't you have a SS4000, Tom? I thought Polaroid was coming out with a roll adapter for the SS4000, but maybe it was the SS120. (Or maybe I just dreamed it ...)

Joel W.