Re: [OM] Olympus Filter Quality?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Filter Quality?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 19:16:34 -0700
I just picked up a new olympus circular polarizer and it is a thing of beauty!
The filter is very thin, yet is still threaded on the front which is why I
picked
this one up. (Unlike most manufacturers thin polarizers!) It is actually as thin
as my 72 mm Heliopan!   I have yet to actually take any photos using it, so I
can't yet speak to the optics, but overall I am impressed. It is actually the
first Olympus filter I have ever purchased. The little plastic case that comes
with it is also very nice, one that I would actually consider using when
carrying
the filter, which is more than I can say for most others. I am in the process of
upgrading my filters (currently mostly Hoya & Tiffen) and would be interested in
what others have to say.

Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Afternoon, Zuiks,
>
> Drippy, rainy out, so we go shopping...
>
> What is the consensus of the list regarding the quality of Olympus filters
> vs. those of, say, Hoya, and others?  Are the Oly filters worth pursuing?  Or
> are the newer MC Hoya and the like better?  I've been pricing Heliopan and B
> & W (and gasping), but meantime, I see new and used Olympus filters available
> from time to time at very reasonable prices.  Any opinions, suggestions?
>
> Rich

Jim Couch
Tacoma, WA USA