Re: [OM] Best Photographer Ever

Subject: Re: [OM] Best Photographer Ever
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:52:54 +0000
At 11:23 8/29/01, Paul Reynolds asked:
No one else up for this thread?

Paul Reynolds

The thread subect states "photographer" which is a little different from "photograph" so I'll shift in that direction.

My vote for "Best Photographer Ever" would have to go for Alfred Stieglitz, who operated the 291 gallery in NYC, plus two more after it closed, worked very hard to encourage young photographers, and raised photography to an "art form." My voting on this goes beyond a single photograph; it's their body of work plus a significant contribution to photography as a profession and/or art form (something that changes the general public's Weltansicht about photography).

Other highly influential photographers include:
Matthew Brady (his U.S. Civil War photography making him one of the first "war correspondent" photographers)
  Edward Steichen (a student of Stieglitz)
Ansel Adams (his landscapes, the Zone system [whether you buy into it or not; the concept is total control] and his trilogy: The Camera, The Negative, and The Print).

Down the list, but among the most influential photojournalists:
  Alfred Eisenstadt
  Robert Capa
  Henri Cartier-Bresson
  W. Eugene Smith