Re: Abuse! (was Re: [OM] Moderator on List)

Subject: Re: Abuse! (was Re: [OM] Moderator on List)
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:11:04 +0200
: Hey that's me... Adam not Oben.

Sorry about this, Adam, I jumped too fast into conclusions when I saw there
was only one person su*bscribed from the ISP the spoof came from. I should
have known better. "Dr. Oben Candemir" may be crazy, he's no fool :0

As a matter of fact, he seems to be an expert in email identity hiding:

http://docs.unode.net/mirrors/www.freebsdzine.org/199902/features/pgp.html
http://docs.unode.net/mirrors/www.freebsdzine.org/199902/features/email.html

It makes you almost believe he's got something to hide... <g>

I'm also convinced "Dr. Oben Candemir" is just a screen name. What's the
point in hiding your email identity when your address and telephone number
can be looked up in the phone / university directories such as
http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/ , http://www.optometry.unimelb.edu.au or
http://websearch.its.unimelb.edu.au/ ...

Hmm, I wonder if he ever bought something from a list member, and to which
address this was sent... Still have that 40mm/F2 lens, Erwin? ;)))

Oh well, at least we have his the web address and corresponding abuse email
address from the ISP he used for dialing in.

Too bad this 'list closing' only protects us from spam generating bots and
some viruses. The only way to protect ourselves from attacks by psychopaths,
is to sit on our hands for a while when any inflammatory messages are sent
to the list.

hnz