Re: [OM] Re: [OT] spoofing etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] spoofing etc.
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:37:15 +0930 (CST)
Hi All,

On the subject of e-mail spoofing, after a bit of a look around on the
law school sites in Australia, it appears it is a form of computer
crime. Under some state laws it is especially frowned upon if someone
suffers ANY losses in remuneration/profit.

This type of thing IS now illegal under Australian Federal law &
carries hefty fines & gaol (er, jail) terms. It comes under the Crimes
Act in some states, which covers things like treason. I believe this
Act is derived from an early English law which saw convicted criminals
gibbeted on a crossroad,  then drawn & quartered.

ISP's are keen to stamp out any problems associated with account abuse,
as a few have been heavily fined due to their client user's actions.

DavidT
South Australia

> > What!!! Are we being spoofed again?  If not, why would you leave
when > > you're guilty of nothing except being the target of one of the
most > > obenoxious clowns I've ever encountered?