Re: [OM] OM System Reliability

Subject: Re: [OM] OM System Reliability
From: Peter Dixon <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:58:49 +0100
Here are my totally subjective thoughts on OM reliability....

Ramble on.....

I think I give my cameras a hard time. As some on the list will know i travel a lot to Eygpt, and average 2-4 rolls a day at least. I'm often well off the beaten track in the eastern and western desert. Conditions are v camera unfriendly, the heat is 40+ for a lot of the day, and the wind-blown sand gets everywhere.

I've been using OMs for 11 years, since my 18th b'day (a 2s/p). In that time I've owned several 4s, a 1 and a 3, and a 4ti as well as the 2sp. As well as the eygpt trips I often travel several times a year with a bag of OMs.

What's gone wrong? Well, I've never had any problem with lenses, of any sort, except wanting more of them...

With the bodies, the 2s/p circuits blew after 6 yrs work. I've also had a 4 circuits blow - both are now for parts in my cupboard.

The 4ti went flaky once in the heat, but calmed down.

I think thats a pretty good record - I always have plenty of sr44s in the bag, and a 1 (or more recently a 3) as back-up. I've only had to call on the back-up in a "never going back their have to get the shots" situation once.

Some of you may think thats not a very good record. Well, on every trip I've been on, and I mean every trip, somebodies wonderbrick has gone crazy. Having a spare body (a 2n) as well as the all mech. back up has made me a very popular guy on a number of occasions. I've seen a number of the semi-pro canons go real sick (eos5,10) as well as the cheaper ones, frequently, Nikons and a contax.

When I first got an OM i didn't realize I'd end up doing photography in out of the way places; it's just a happy accident that my gear is reliable and compact as well as everything else....

Ramble over....

Cheers

Pete

Dr. Peter Dixon
Neurogenetics Unit, Department of Clinical Neurology
6th Floor, Institute of Neurology
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
Tel: 0207 837 3611 xtn 4305