Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)

Subject: Re: [OM] The Aussies (Was Tom Scales, watch your back.)
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:20:14 +1000
>In a message dated 8/17/01 8:08:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>> The Aussie contributions to the list are a source of repeated delight
>> and enlightenment that can't be spoiled by one bad apple. 'Nuff said.
>
>Hear, hear, Joel!  You Aussie blokes are a fun lot, and fair dinkum mates!
>Grab a "tinnie" and carry on!  Everything's "apples"!
>
>Rich

Careful Rich - or we'll release some serious Strine on this list. We have
an unintelligible dialect and we're not afraid to use it!
Now - as the term Fang has become part of the list-speak, should we also
incorporate the term Oben in a similiar way? For instance, to 'oben' an
item would be to pay well over the odds for it just because you've got the
money and you don't give a shit who knows it. Or one could apologise for a
waspish comment as being a bit 'oben the top.' Or we could claim to have
been 'obened' when someone makes a completely unwarranted or scurrilous
accusation - "I will not be obened like this..."
AndrewF