Re: [OM] New book barely mentions OM

Subject: Re: [OM] New book barely mentions OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:02:30 -0700
C.H. asks:

<< Do you refer to the Minolta body? I also found the Minolta SLR body
not so good but the few lenses I have seen seems very good. >>

Yes, their camera bodies, especially from the 1980s when cost reductions
were put in place.  There are some gems among the early metal lenses.
Of course, there was a Leitz/Minolta collaboration, too, in that metal
lens period.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV

Evidently Leitz thought enough of Minolta bodies to rebadge them as Leicaflex with some minor reworking and an extra 1000 dollars on the price tag. There was one Leitz designed Leicaflex that completely bombed due to size, weight and lack of competitive capability followed by a series of reworked Minoltas. I am not sure whether that extended into the period of the 80s. Prior to the 80's Minolta tended to dominate photo contests, probably because there were so many of them and because the really big differences are in the photographer and not the equipment.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California