Re: [OM] 1.4X-A teleconverter

Subject: Re: [OM] 1.4X-A teleconverter
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Aug 2001 04:51:31 -0700
On Sun, 12 August 2001, "Hans van Veluwen" wrote:

> They must have redesigned the 180/2.8 after the 180/2 was designed. The
> scanned data sheet (0584) of the 1.4xA in the eSIF doesn't mention either of
> the 180mm lenses. At least this is evidence that the original 180/2.8 was
> not compatible at least not for Olympus' quality standards. The 1085 Lens
> Handbook (containing the 180/2) doesn't mention the 180/2.8 either as being
> compatible.

I checked the eSIF before I bid, and on the 1.4X-A page I found this:

"This converter can be used with the following lenses:
1) 180mm/F2
2) 180mm/F2.8
3) 250mm/F2
4) 300mm/F4.5
5) 350mm/F2.8
6) 400mm/F6.3"

There was a footnote regarding the 180/2.8, as follows:

"Because of  a change in optical design, this combination is only matched with
lenses that have a serial numbers larger than 200.000."

I had read/heard/dreamed this somewhere but wasn't sure, and since my principal
planned use is for the 400/6.3, I went ahead and bid, figuring any other use
was a bonus.  Also, finding this obscure bit of information in the eSIF
prompted me to send off a crisp, new $20 bill to Hans for the CD version.  :-)

Walt