Re: [OM] Re: ES10 Negative Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ES10 Negative Scanner
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:21:49 -0500
Dave-

The only real difference between the 2720 and 2740 is the infrared scan that
allows the Digital Ice s/w to work. This additional scan is also used by
VueScan.

Digital Ice is a 2 part process. 1- scan the color image and the infrared pass.
2- use the software to clean up the areas that the infrared pass picks up. It's
a useful feature, but it takes time. On really dirty images you will need to do
more work manually.

I don't use it routinely, but I find that I can use it to do the heavy work
when needed, without detracting from the image as a whole. The noise/dust and
scratch filters have an effect on lots more than just the defective areas.
Digital Ice is a good tool to have, but it's only part of the arsenal. Most of
the time, some selective cloning is all that's necessary, unless you pull out
the 25 year old slides and start to play (boy were they filthy).

Anyway, from a new user's perspective, I like the Digital Ice feature. If you
can get for less than e*bay 'fixed' pricing, it's worth it.

The Acer comes with the MiraPhoto driver. Easy to follow, and pretty on the
screen. It acts as the Twain driver so you scan directly into Twain aware
software. The same interface comes up in Photoshop, Corel Photopaint etc. But
the VueScan software ( downloadable at http://www.hamrick.com/) operates the
scanner directly. Vuescan is available for Windows, Linux and Mac systems. It
also operates the scanner faster than the Mira package and well worth the $40
to register. It runs a lot of scanners from many venders (even flatbeds).

Thanks to Tom (THE MAN) Scales for his recommendation of the VueScan software,
and providing a glimpse of his wonderful Riverwalk shots in full resolution.
Thanks to Scott Gomez for helping me see his full res scan from his Acer 2720.

uBid.com has both models right now, but the 2740 is already out of sight. The
2720 is still on the ramp up. You can see it here:
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=5404539

All the usual denials apply- I've got nuttin to do with any of the products or
venders mentioned.

Mickey
  Should I spend about $270 for the 2720S or about $370 for the 2740S?
  Dave Dougherty