Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:00:29 -0400
Hi Oben,

I've heard this before but believe it is an urban legend. AFAIK, Kellog was a Doctor at a world famous sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan. He was seriously into health and was trying to find food for the "masses" to eat for breakfast. Seems that at the time, the rich and famous at breakfasts that were filled with fruit, grains and meats. The poor couldn' afford such fine food, and needed something easy to prepare before heading off to the factory etc. Kellog started making the cereal in a small building near the Sanitarium. One of his assistants became disgruntled and ventured out on his own. His name was Post.

There is a bus tour and a museum/tourist center you can visit today in Battle Creek, MI. The tour of the factory was closed about 25 years ago. They didn't allow photos on the walking tour of the plant when I went there as a lad, but the camera (this was before the OM system came out) around my neck seemed to go off at just the right moments! ;-)

Oh, Quaker brand oats were not accepted at first either. Rolled oats were considered pig food.

Gregg

PS  I'd be interested in seeing your sources.

I don't know how aware people are of the original intent of Corn Flakes (TM). They were invented by Kellogs who was an eccentric gentleman and invented Corn Flakes as a cure for masturbation.