Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:11:53 +0000
At 04:34 8/5/01, Acer found this incredulous and asked:
8/4/01 9:29:59 PM, Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Can you find a place to watch that is very quiet?  I've heard that on a hot
>day you can hear the corn grow.

you folks aren't serious, are you??

Very serious. I have some theories about it involving rapid plant growth combined with dense planting, thermal expansion as the day progresses from morning into the high humid heat of the afternoon, and the very high coefficient of friction most parts of corn plants have. Maybe there's someone on the list who grew up in very, very rural portions of the corn belt that knows the real reason (or at least other theories) for the sounds corn fields make.

-- John