Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] hearing corn growing??
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
John Lind wrote:
At 04:34 8/5/01, Acer found this incredulous and asked:
>8/4/01 9:29:59 PM, Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Can you find a place to watch that is very quiet?  I've heard that
on a hot
> >day you can hear the corn grow.
>
>you folks aren't serious, are you??

Very serious.  I have some theories about it involving rapid plant
growth combined with dense planting, thermal expansion as the day
progresses from morning into the high humid heat of the afternoon, and
the very high coefficient of friction most parts of corn plants have.
Maybe there's someone on the list who grew up in very, very rural
portions of the corn belt that knows the real reason (or at least other
theories) for the sounds corn fields make.

Sounds like more crop-circle stuff to me <G>. The real problems start
when you can hear the fungus growing in your lenses!

Regards,

=====
Ray